Police negotiated with the man for about an hour Thursday night, according to the police department. When he refused to surrender and opened fire, they shot him.

Share story

Police fatally shot a man during a standoff after he refused to surrender and opened fire on officers with a shotgun at a Tukwila apartment building Thursday night, Tukwila police said.

Officers were there because of an earlier multicar crash near the police department. One of the drivers in the crash reported he had been shot and wounded by an acquaintance at a nearby apartment around 5:30 p.m. and provided a description of the man, police spokesman Mike Murphy said.

“We got out there, and he had had his car blown out,” he said of the wounded man at the crash site near the police station.

Police contacted the suspect at the apartment building in the 5800 block of South 152nd Place and tried for about an hour to get him to surrender, Murphy said. The man was yelling incoherently, Murphy said, but refused to surrender and fired at least once at police with a shotgun.

Two officers returned fire, and the man died, Murphy said. No others were shot. The man’s age is unknown, but he’s believed to be a resident of the apartment complex, police said.

Cheryl Garcia, who manages a neighboring apartment complex, said two helicopters patrolled as police, some with K-9s, and firefighters first responded to the area. SWAT officers joined them. Negotiators used a blow horn to talk to the suspect, she said.

“And then I heard gunfire like crazy,” Garcia said. Children were playing at a nearby courtyard, so she and others scrambled to usher them to another area, she said.

“All the little ones play out here. They just feel safe,” Garcia said. “It was a surprise.”

The wounded man in the car was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle and was in serious but stable condition late Thursday, police said.

Numerous police departments responded to the fatal shooting. Regional investigators who specialize in reviewing officer-involved shootings remained in the area late Thursday.

Investigators will consider all circumstances, such as if the man was under the influence of drugs or alcohol or in a mental crisis, in their overview, Murphy said.

The officers who fired their weapons will be placed on paid administrative leave while the incident is investigated, he added.