Authorities in Phoenix still are trying to determine the events that led to the death of a former yo-yo champion originally from Mount Vernon.
Phoenix police say 23-year-old Nathan DeWitt died early Wednesday after being taken to a hospital.
Police and Phoenix Fire Department crews responded to a rollover crash shortly after midnight and found an SUV on its side.
They say DeWitt crawled out of the vehicle and had been shot. Police say it’s still unclear if DeWitt died from the shooting wound, injuries from the crash or both.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
Detectives say DeWitt possibly was at Christmas party before the shooting.
The Arizona Republic reported Thursday that DeWitt was the 2005 Pacific Northwest yo-yo champion and placed eighth in the 2008 competition and 18th last year.
Below is a video of DeWitt doing a “360 ear spin.”