A seattle physician's medical license has been suspended over allegations that he performed spinal surgeries on three patients who didn't...
A Seattle physician’s medical license has been suspended over allegations that he performed spinal surgeries on three patients who didn’t need them, permanently injuring them.
According to the state Department of Health, Dr. Solomon Kamson, 50, an anesthesiologist who practices at the Spine Institute Northwest in Bothell, did not inform the patients that he “did not have the same training, experience and knowledge as a surgeon,” nor did he inform them of risks of the procedures.
Calls to Kamson’s office and home were not returned. He has 10 days to ask for a hearing and 20 days to submit a formal response to the charges.
The state alleges that in one 2001 case, Kamson wrongly assessed a patient’s condition and performed surgery that damaged her spine. He then performed further surgeries, injuring the patient again.
Most Read Local Stories
- Inslee: Washington to lift COVID restrictions by June 30; right now, mask rules eased for vaccinated people
- Northern lights may grace the skies tonight. Here are the best times to see them in Seattle.
- 'Great day for America': Vaccinated can largely ditch masks
- Expect travel delays this summer after ferry fire sends ripples through Puget Sound fleet
- Coronavirus daily news updates, May 13: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
In another case the same year, he allegedly injured a patient during spinal surgery, then performed a second surgery to correct the damage but misrepresented the reason for the second surgery. The patient was permanently injured.
In 2003, Kamson, who has been licensed in Washington since 1984, performed a spinal procedure that was not necessary, in a manner “far below the standard of care,” the state said. The patient suffered permanent nerve damage, partial paralysis, impaired bladder and bowel control and sexual dysfunction.
Carol M. Ostrom: 206-464-2249 or firstname.lastname@example.org