The Associated Press
AUBURN — A BNSF Railway spokesman says a person attempting to cross BNSF’s rail yard in Auburn was hit and killed Tuesday evening by a northbound Amtrak train.
Spokesman Gus Melonas said investigators could not immediately determine the victim’s sex.
Witnesses say the person apparently climbed through an idle freight train, then stepped in front of the approaching Amtrak train shortly after 6 p.m.
Most Read Local Stories
- Ferry-naming contest draws comically creative ideas — but let's get real, Washington state says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Rain will stick around this week in the Seattle area, with a chance for thunderstorms
Melonas says passenger- and freight-train traffic through the area was temporarily delayed.