A 27-year-old man died Tuesday after being hit by a semitruck on southbound Interstate 5 near Burlington, according to Washington State Patrol.
Michael J. Schuchart of Burlington was standing in the road just north of milepost 229 when a semitruck hit him around 7 p.m., according to a statement from the state patrol. He died at the scene.
Drivers had called 911 and reported a man standing between lanes, swinging and throwing items at passing cars, according to Trooper Heather Axtman, who said Schuchart’s family indicated he had been in “poor mental health.”
Officials identified the man Wednesday. Washington State Patrol is still investigating.
Most Read Local Stories
- A Republican senator has a great idea to save the year for Washington state schools
- Coronavirus daily news updates, February 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Seattle is texting alerts about leftover COVID-19 vaccines; here's who can get on the limited standby list
- After impeachment vote, Rep. Herrera Beutler draws pro-Trump challengers
- Washington state has never pulled an officer's badge for excessive force. That may be changing