A Washington State Patrol cruiser was destroyed near Mountlake Terrace just after 1 a.m. today after the trooper spun out during a police chase and struck a freeway guardrail.
The 26-year-old trooper was traveling north on Interstate 5, just south of 220th Street Southwest, chasing a car suspected in a traffic infraction, State Patrol spokesman Trooper Mark Francis. But as the trooper was traveling in the left lane, he apparently lost control of his car.
His vehicle spun out, struck the left median guardrail and came to rest partially blocking the carpool lane, Francis said. The trooper was not hurt, but the cruiser was destroyed.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Seattle's COVID eviction moratorium extended into January 2022
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
The traffic violator got away, Francis added.
Francis said that it appears weather was a factor in the crash; it was raining heavily when the trooper spun out.