A patient at Western State Hospital was found dead inside a portable toilet on Thursday morning.
A patient at Western State Hospital who was reported missing on Wednesday was found dead inside a portable toilet on Thursday morning.
Hospital staff had last seen the man in his 30s was walking around the grounds of the Lakewood hospital on Wednesday afternoon.
When he was not back in his housing unit by 8 p.m., staff went to look for him. They contacted Lakewood police around 8:30 p.m. to report him missing, said police Lt. John Unfred.
Another patient found him dead in the portable toilet at 8 a.m. Thursday morning, Unfred said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 7: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 8: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
- New UW analysis lowers coronavirus death projections and suggests hospitalizations may have already peaked in Washington
- 'It will not go forgotten': One Seattle business and its tale of two landlords during the coronavirus crisis
- As coronavirus economic effects strain food banks, Gov. Inslee announces statewide food relief fund in Washington
“There is nothing suspicious at this point,” Unfred said, adding “there are no signs of foul play or signs of suicide.”
The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the cause of death. Unfred did not identify the man.