UPDATE AT 12:57 P.M.: The semi truck has been moved and the freeway is being reopened. Drivers should expect backups.
ORIGINAL POST: The northbound lanes of Interstate 5 in Everett are blocked by an overturned semi truck, according to the State Patrol.
The accident happened around 10:41 a.m. when an SUV traveling on I-5 near 41st Street hit some slush and lost control. The SUV crossed in front of the truck, causing the truck to overturn.
Both drivers suffered minor injuries, the State Patrol said.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
The truck was pulling a cargo container loaded with 40,000 pounds of ceramic tiles. It also spilled between 150 to 175 gallons of diesel fuel.
Traffic is being diverted off the freeway at 41st Street.
The State Patrol says the truck is expected to be removed by 1:30 p.m.