Here are some school shootings in Washington state. February 2010: 30-year-old Jed Waits, of Ellensburg, stalked and fatally shot Jennifer...
Here are some school shootings in Washington state.
February 2010: 30-year-old Jed Waits, of Ellensburg, stalked and fatally shot Jennifer Paulson, a special-education teacher at Birney Elementary School in Tacoma. Waits later died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
January 2007: Douglas Chanthabouly fatally shot fellow student Samnang Kok in a hallway before the start of classes at Tacoma’s Foss High School. Chanthabouly was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to more than 23 years in prison.
February 1996: At Frontier Middle School in Moses Lake, two students and one teacher were killed and another student was wounded when 14-year-old Barry Loukaitis opened fire on his algebra class. He is serving a life sentence.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
March 1994: 16-year-old Melissa “Missie” Fernandes was killed in a gang-related drive-by shooting at Ballard High School in Seattle. Three men were convicted.
January 1994: Neal Summers, a teacher at Whitman Middle School in North Seattle, was shot in the back and killed by Darrell Cloud, a former student who had been abused by Summers for years. Cloud served nine years in prison and later received a $250,000 settlement in a suit against Seattle Schools, saying Summers wasn’t adequately supervised.
Compiled by Seattle Times news researcher Gene Balk