The Washington State Patrol responded to what was described as a high-speed, head-on collision involving three vehicles on Highway 203.
A man was killed and five other people injured in Monroe on Sunday in a high-speed, head-on collision involving three vehicles at the 18500 block of Highway 203, Snohomish County Fire District 7 and the Washington State Patrol said.
Crews responding to the 2:45 p.m. call found both directions of the highway blocked, and severe damage to two of the vehicles.
A man who was extricated from a vehicle and taken to Providence Regional Medical Center Everett was pronounced dead at the hospital, according to a Fire District 7 news release and the State Patrol.
He was identified as Robert W. Allender, 79, of Monroe, the State Patrol said.
Most Read Stories
- Washington state lawmakers make speedy move to shield their records from the public
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Report: Washington state home to one of the largest cells of notorious white supremacist group WATCH
- KFC scrambles its name as it issues a 3-letter apology for its U.K. chicken crisis
- With former Husky Marcus Peters traded to the Rams, why were the Seahawks reportedly not interested?
Allender had slowed his southbound pickup to make a left turn from Highway 203 to a private driveway when his vehicle was struck from behind by a flatbed pickup, the State Patrol said in a news release.
The impact pushed Allender’s pickup into the northbound lane, where it was struck by a car, the State Patrol said.
Three people with severe injuries were taken to hospitals, Fire District 7 said.
A 56-year-old woman who was a passenger in Allender’s vehicle and 19-year-old man who was passenger in the car were taken to Providence; and a 19-year-old man who was driving the car was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, the State Patrol said.
Two others, a 19-year-old woman and 18-year-old woman who were passengers in the car, were taken to EvergreenHealth in Monroe with minor injuries.
The driver of the flatbed pickup was not injured.