A suspected drunk driver was shot and killed by an Olympia police officer Friday evening.
The incident happened after Olympia Police received a 9-1-1 call at about 5:45 p.m. reporting a possible drunk driver who had collided with another car near Creekwood Court SE, according to a news release from the city.
Upon arriving at the scene, officers learned the suspect had fled on foot and followed him. The man was fatally shot in the head after threatening a police officer, according to the city.
Laura Wohl, a city of Olympia spokeswoman, said police reported the suspect had a weapon. She declined to release further details Friday night.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- COVID hospitalizations down in Washington, but deaths are on the rise
- Video shows helicopter rescue of missing hiker in Olympic National Park
- He found an intact headstone buried in his Seattle backyard. You might, too
- 60,000 Seattle-area renters are behind on rent as eviction moratoriums near expiration
The officer involved in the shooting is a 25-year veteran of the Olympia Police Department. He has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation of the shooting, a standard procedure in such cases.
The deceased suspect was not identified Friday night. His name will be released by the Thurston County Coroner’s Office.