SHORELINE — Police detectives on Thursday morning fatally shot a man who they believe stabbed a 62-year-old man and a dog and tried to stab another person walking nearby, according to the King County Sheriff’s Office, which provides police services for the city of Shoreline.

Sheriff’s spokesperson Sgt. Ryan Abbott said the victim was stabbed at least twice. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he is in serious condition but his injuries aren’t life-threatening, said hospital spokesperson Susan Gregg.

The dog, a German shepherd, was receiving care at an animal hospital, where he was reported to be stable and alert, Abbott said.

Abbott said the man was walking his dog on North 175th Street near Shorewood High School when he noticed he was being followed by a man he had never seen before.

The suspect then stabbed the man in the back and, as the victim turned, swiped at him again before stabbing the dog and running away, Abbott said.

The victim ran into his house, where he called for help around 6 a.m., Abbott said.


A second 911 call came in at 6:22 a.m. from a man on North 179th Street who said he had just fought off a stabbing attempt by someone wearing the same clothing as the suspect was wearing, Abbott said.

In the minutes that followed, several other residents called 911 and reported seeing the suspect walking in the area, Abbott said. A K-9 team was dispatched to search for him.

Two detectives confronted the suspect, believed to be in his 20s, at 6:37 a.m. in the driveway of the Linden Highlands apartment complex, Abbott said. They saw he had a knife and ordered him to drop it, Abbott said.

The detectives broadcast that shots had been fired at 6:38 a.m. and immediately started CPR, Abbott said. Shoreline Fire medics arrived and also tried to save the suspect, but he died at the scene.

Billy Hoffman, 52, was drinking coffee on his deck at Linden Highlands and heard the sound of screeching tires in the parking lot.

He said he heard the officers yell, “Drop the knife, drop the knife,” followed by five gunshots.


“It was rapid fire — bap, bap, bap, bap, bap,” said Hoffman, who said he was still shaken a couple hours later. “I saw the guy go down and they (the officers) rushed in to try to save him … He was gone in under a minute.”

Hoffman said he believes the stabbing suspect was a homeless man who is known in the neighborhood for provoking confrontations with people. Hoffman said one of his neighbors had to run and duck behind a sign “because the bullets were flying.”

“It’s kind of traumatizing,” Hoffman said of the shooting.

The Seattle Police Department’s Force Investigation Team is investigating the deadly shooting. Both detectives involved have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard protocol when an officer shoots someone.