ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A 26-year-old woman is being held on suspicion of manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide after a fatal shooting in Anchorage.
Anchorage police arrested Marilyn Tilo-Maiava early Tuesday morning.
Police around 12:30 a.m. took a report of a suicide at an apartment and found a man with a gunshot wound to his upper body. He was transported to a hospital, where he died.
Investigators say the man had brought a handgun to the apartment, where adults and juveniles were present.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle to stay smoky amid record heat, low rainfall
- Kirkland ranked third-best place to live in U.S. by Money magazine
- Researchers warn of mental health risks of high-potency cannabis
- Will the GOP send migrant buses to Seattle next? I vote yes
- 4 injured in University District shooting were UW students
The gun was a passed around and handled by multiple people. As the gun was handled my Tilo-Maiava, it fired, striking the man. His name has not been released.
Police say alcohol and drugs are factors in the case.
Online court records do not list an attorney for Tilo-Maiava.
An earlier version of this story contained an incorrect spelling of Tilo-Maiava’s last name.