PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The Oregon Department of Transportation has opened a six-mile section of the Historic Columbia River Highway that had been closed since the Eagle Creek Fire in September of 2017.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports the section of road between Bridal Veil and Ainsworth State Park opened Friday.
Officials say it took that long to remove 9,000 trees that could have fallen into the road and install 3,000 feet of protective fencing.
This means the popular scenic route to get to Multnomah Falls is accessible again.
Most Read Local Stories
- After 7-year battle, Lake City neighbors rejoice as Lake Washington dead end becomes a public beach
- Crash kills woman, critically injures 2 children near Sammamish
- Driver runs down, kills 2 people at Washington beach
- Man plunges 60 feet into Lake Washington while fleeing officer on 520 bridge, police say
- Man in serious condition after shooting on Capitol Hill, officials say