Four officers fired more than 30 rounds from two handguns and two rifles at Portland fugitive Michael Reinoehl after they cornered him in his car Sept. 3 outside a Washington apartment complex where he had been hiding, a sheriff’s official said Tuesday.

Police found Reinoehl with a loaded .380-caliber handgun in his right front pocket and his hand on or near the gun after he was fatally shot by police officers outside the apartment in Lacey, Thurston County Sheriff’s Lt. Ray Brady said.

Investigators are still awaiting lab results to determine whether the gun on Reinoehl, a self-described anti-fascist activist, was the same one used in the fatal downtown Portland shooting of Aaron “Jay” Danielson, 38, after a pro-Trump car caravan Aug. 29.

There were rounds in Reinoehl’s gun after it was recovered, Brady said, but he wouldn’t disclose how many.

Questions have swirled around Reinoehl’s death after eyewitnesses gave differing accounts of what they saw that afternoon. All described a chaotic scene with bullets flying while young children were outside.

A team led by the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office hasn’t finished its investigation yet, Brady said, but he has given weekly updates as it continues and released some new details.


Brady said four officers from a multiagency federal task force pulled up in two unmarked SUVS directly in front of Reinoehl’s Volkswagen after they saw him walk to his car and get in. They came “face to face with him in the vehicle,” he said.

Earlier that day, Portland police had obtained a warrant to arrest Reinoehl on second-degree murder and unlawful use of a firearm allegations in the Portland killing. Reinoehl, who said he provided security for Black Lives Matter protests, was wanted in the death of Danielson, a supporter of the right-wing conservative group Patriot Prayer based in Vancouver.

Nathaniel Dingess, a witness who lived in the apartment where Reinoehl had been hiding, said through a statement released by his lawyer to The Oregonian/OregonLive last month that the officers who confronted Reinoehl yelled no warnings or commands before firing at him.

Stories from The New York Times and ProPublica/Oregon Public Broadcasting on Tuesday identified additional witnesses who said they also didn’t hear any shouting by police before the gunshots rang out.

The four officers who fired told investigators they gave Reinoehl “commands to stop and show his hands” before they shot him, Brady said. The officers were wearing police tactical vests, he said. They were from the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office, Lakewood Police Department and the Washington Department of Corrections.

One of the officers told investigators that he saw Reinoehl raise a gun toward him and another officer said he saw Reinoehl trying to retrieve a gun from his pocket, Brady said.

Reinoehl was wounded in his car but then got out and ran behind it and collapsed in the street beside a set of mailboxes, Brady said.

There is no evidence that Reinoehl fired a gun outside his car. A single .380-caliber shell casing was found in the back seat of his Volkswagen, but when that was fired hasn’t been determined, Brady said. An autopsy found Reinoehl died from gunshot wounds to the head and upper torso.