BEND, Ore. (AP) — A $2.5 million wrongful death lawsuit filed against a Bend restaurant says a man died of salmonella after eating tainted chicken enchilada meals.
The lawsuit was filed this week in Deschutes County Circuit Court against El Rodeo restaurant by the estate of Bend man Arthur Sutton, who died in August, The Bulletin reported.
The month before the 70-year-old died, he dined twice at El Rodeo, according to the lawsuit.
El Rodeo owners Rodolfo and Lorena Arias did not return messages seeking comment.
David Wallace, the attorney for Sutton’s widow, Marva Lamping, said the lawsuit is a matter of public health.
On July 16, Sutton went to El Rodeo and ate a chicken enchilada with rice, cabbage dip, coleslaw and chips, according to the lawsuit. Over the next few days, Sutton experienced pain in his abdomen, bowel problems and other issues, the lawsuit states.
Sutton returned July 23 and ate the same meal. The next day he was taken to the emergency department of St. Charles Bend and was treated for two days for dehydration, vomiting and other conditions, according to the lawsuit. On July 29, he was readmitted to the hospital with kidney failure and other conditions.
Sutton was pronounced dead two weeks later, the cause determined to be sepsis with acute organ dysfunction due to salmonella.