SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Officials say four elk were illegally killed and left to waste in Lincoln and Tillamook counties in early January.
The Statesman-Journal reports Oregon State Police are asking for help in identifying those responsible.
Officials say on Jan. 8, a five-point bull elk was found dead and wasted in Toledo, just inland from Newport.
Police say an investigation revealed the elk had been shot by a high-powered rifle.
Most Read Local Stories
- Armed man attacking Tacoma's ICE detention center killed in officer-involved shooting
- Friday earthquakes on a crustal fault show it's not only the 'Big One' we should fear
- Woman fatally stabbed in Cal Anderson Park
- Driver hits 7-year-old on sidewalk, crashes into power pole in Magnolia
- Homes for sale in Medina are unusually plentiful and 'accessible' these days
Police say four days later three cow elk were found shot and killed with a high-caliber rifle and were left to waste in a clear-cut several miles from Highway 6 on Fox Creek Road.