SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Officials say four elk were illegally killed and left to waste in Lincoln and Tillamook counties in early January.
The Statesman-Journal reports Oregon State Police are asking for help in identifying those responsible.
Officials say on Jan. 8, a five-point bull elk was found dead and wasted in Toledo, just inland from Newport.
Police say an investigation revealed the elk had been shot by a high-powered rifle.
Most Read Local Stories
- King County Sheriff's Office to pay motorcyclist held at gunpoint $65,000, plus change use-of-force rules WATCH
- Permanent daylight saving time passes state Senate 46-2; here’s what’s next
- What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know
- Police: Kent carjacking victim found dead in pickup
- The fight to fund the schools was supposedly won. So why are they now slashing librarians? | Danny Westneat
Police say four days later three cow elk were found shot and killed with a high-caliber rifle and were left to waste in a clear-cut several miles from Highway 6 on Fox Creek Road.