SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Officials say four elk were illegally killed and left to waste in Lincoln and Tillamook counties in early January.
The Statesman-Journal reports Oregon State Police are asking for help in identifying those responsible.
Officials say on Jan. 8, a five-point bull elk was found dead and wasted in Toledo, just inland from Newport.
Police say an investigation revealed the elk had been shot by a high-powered rifle.
Most Read Local Stories
- Tim Eyman charged with misdemeanor theft; attorneys call chair's removal from store an accident
- Seattle household net worth ranks among top in nation — but wealth doesn't reach everyone | FYI Guy
- UW Medicine mistakenly exposed information on nearly 1 million patients
- Don't worry, Seattle: Snow isn't likely this week, despite earlier warning
- Pearl Jam announces $10.8 million to combat homelessness
Police say four days later three cow elk were found shot and killed with a high-caliber rifle and were left to waste in a clear-cut several miles from Highway 6 on Fox Creek Road.