Carol Newhouse, the wife of 4th District U.S. Rep. Dan Newhouse, died in a Seattle hospital following a long battle with cancer.
Carol Newhouse, the wife of U.S. Rep. Dan Newhouse, died Friday at a hospital in Seattle after a long battle with cancer.
The 4th District congressman’s office confirmed his wife’s death in a release late Saturday.
“Carol was a strong, beautiful, and loving mother, wife, and friend,” said the statement from Newhouse’s office. “Carol’s sparkling wit and joyful countenance will be deeply missed by her family and friends. The family is grateful for the patience, support, and prayers of so many and requests privacy during this time of grieving.”
Newhouse, 62, had been battling cancer for several years, according to an update the congressman posted on his Facebook page last month.
Most Read Local Stories
- We now know where Seattle's airborne heart was headed after Southwest flight was turned around
- Rare brain-eating amoebas killed Seattle woman who rinsed her sinuses with tap water. Doctor warns this could happen again
- Over 100K lose power as high winds hit Washington, Oregon
- Burned bear Cinder shot and killed by hunter in Washington
- At a prominent Bellevue badminton club, girls describe a coach who crossed lines with massages
In the post, he wrote that he’d learned just over a year ago that the medication his wife was on was no longer effective and that she had been undergoing chemotherapy since February. He also mentioned recent complications, which led to his decision to spend more time with loved ones.
“I need to be with my family as we face this challenge together,” wrote Newhouse, who earlier this month missed the House vote on repealing the Affordable Care Act in order to be at his wife’s side at the hospital.
Survivors include her husband and two adult children. Dan and Carol Newhouse would have celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary Monday.
Arrangements are by Valley Hills Funeral Home in Sunnyside. The funeral home’s website indicates the services will be private.