A father, his two children and a grandmother died. A grandfather managed to get out and has been released from hospital.

Share story

Four family members, including two young children, died after a fire Saturday engulfed a two-story house just outside Port Orchard.

Kitsap County Deputy Sheriff Scott Wilson said authorities believe they know who died, but did not release the names, pending identification of the bodies.

The deceased were a male in his late 30s and his two children, a toddler girl and an infant boy, along with a woman in her 60s believed to be the man’s mother and the children’s grandmother.

A man in his 60s, believed to be the younger man’s father, managed to escape the fire, Wilson said. He was taken to Harrison Medical Center in Bremerton and by late Saturday had been released.

Most Read Local Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks.

The older couple owned the home, Wilson said.

Wilson said the mother of the children was at the scene about 7 a.m. Saturday with her mother and spoke with fire marshals and detectives.

The 911 call came in just after 3:45 a.m.

When firefighters arrived at the house in the 3800 block of Southeast Castlewood Drive, they found the raging fire and the man in his 60s who had gotten out.

John Spillinger told the Kitsap Sun he was awakened by noise, went outside, then called 911. When he went back outside, Spillinger said, his longtime neighbor was using a hose to try to get at the flames.

“The heat was too great to use the hose,” Spillinger said. “He kept saying, ‘they’re trapped, they’re trapped, I couldn’t get them out.’ ”

For several hours Saturday, firefighters were not able to enter the charred house because it was so severely damaged that it might collapse.

A private construction company was brought in to shore up the roof and floor, Wilson said.

At 3:30 p.m., the house was considered safe and fire marshals along with the Kitsap County coroner and two deputy coroners entered and found the bodies.

The father and two children were in one room together, the woman in another.

Wilson said officials had not yet determined the fire’s cause and will continue the investigation Sunday.