ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Anchorage police have identified two people found dead in a burning sport utility vehicle as the wife and stepdaughter of the man charged in the case.

Tylan Fely, 34, is charged with first-degree murder, arson and other counts in the deaths of Cecilia Tuuaga and her 13-year-old daughter, the Anchorage Daily News reported.

Fely is represented by the Alaska Public Defender Agency, which did not respond to an email request for comment Tuesday. He remains jailed with bail set at $1 million.

Police late Saturday night responded to reports of a burning car and found the SUV in a vacant lot, engulfed in flames.

Family members told police Tuuaga and Fely had been having marital problems. The teenage girl had obtained a restraining order against Fely three days before she died, they said.

On Saturday night, another child in the home reported hearing a fight between Fely, Tuuaga and the 13-year-old and then a gunshot.


Detectives interviewed Fely on Sunday and he gave varying accounts of what had happened, police said.

He first said he did not know about his wife, stepdaughter and the burned SUV.

He then said he had been in the SUV with his wife, who had a gun, KTVA-television reported. He said they struggled and the gun fired, striking the teen. He said his wife subsequently shot herself and that he burned the SUV because he thought he would get in trouble.

He later said he had again struggled over the gun with Tuuaga and it discharged, killing her.

Detectives found evidence of bloodstains and an attempted cleanup at the house, police said.

Fely was convicted of manslaughter for a 2005 case in which he shot a stranger with whom he had been exchanging rude gestures while driving. Fely got out of his car and walked up to 28-year-old Mark Smith. Fely said Smith attempted to grab the gun and the gun fired, killing Smith. Fely was sentenced to eight years in prison and was released on parole in November 2010.


Information from: Anchorage Daily News,