The students include Dashiell Mortell, 19, of Bainbridge Island, who was killed in a collision on Interstate 90.
CLE ELUM, Kittitas County — Two Washington State University students were killed in vehicle crashes over the weekend as they made their way back to campus for the spring semester.
The Moscow-Pullman Daily News reports Rachel Pomeroy, 20, died about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when traveling east on Highway 26, 16 miles west of Washtucna when her 2003 Acura collided head on with a 2016 Ford Explorer.
Nineteen-year-old Dashiell Mortell of Bainbridge Island died Saturday about 2 p.m. when the vehicle he was riding in with four other students rear-ended a car that had stopped for a collision on Interstate 90 near Cle Elum.
The vehicle rolled onto its side and was struck in the roof by an oncoming pickup pulling a trailer.
Most Read Local Stories
- What are the most common reasons people are homeless in Seattle?
- Seattle upzones 27 neighborhood hubs, passes affordable-housing requirements
- Capitol Hill homeowners say Eastlake upzone would ruin views of Lake Union VIEW
- Seattle area feels warmest winter day ever recorded at Sea-Tac, weather service says
- Take a common houseplant, add a little rabbit DNA and voilà! You get a super air purifier
Both collisions remain under investigation by the Washington State Patrol.