Today’s heavy rains and winds have caused at least 10 slides along the BNSF tracks between Seattle and Everett.
As a result, BNSF Railway spokesman Gus Melonas says, the railroad placed a 48-hour moratorium on passenger and commuter trains between Everett and Seattle starting around noon Monday.
He says crews are working to clear trees, mud and debris that have covered parts of the mainline track.
Most routes in Washington are open to freight travel.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- More fallout from how we're defunding Seattle police backward, this time in Pioneer Square
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
Because of the moratorium, Northline Sounder service between Seattle and Everett has been canceled for this evening and will not resume until Wednesday evening. Sound Transit has announced the following back-up bus services:
EVENING BACK-UP BUS SERVICE (northbound) – Monday 11/19
Seattle – Edmonds: Board regularly scheduled Community Transit Route 416 at 5th and James at 4:27 p.m., 4:58 p.m., 5:31 p.m. and 5:57 p.m.
Seattle – Mukilteo: Board regularly scheduled Community Transit Route 417 at 4th Ave S and S Jackson St at 3:59 p.m., 4:22 p.m. 4:50 p.m., and 5:30 p.m.
Seattle – Everett: Starline Charter buses will depart 4th Ave. S and S. Jackson St. at 4:33 p.m. and 5:35 p.m. with direct service to Everett Station. Riders may also board regularly scheduled ST Express Route 510 at 4th Ave. S and S. Jackson St., departing approximately every 10 minutes.
MORNING BUS SERVICE – Tuesday 11/20
Everett-Seattle: Board regularly scheduled ST Express Route 510 at Everett Station bay C1, departing approximately every 10 minutes.
Mukilteo-Seattle: Board regularly scheduled Community Transit Route 417 at the Ferry Terminal departing at 5:49 a.m., 6:21 a.m., 6:51 a.m., and 7:53 a.m. Please note: These times do not correspond with regular Sounder schedule.
Edmonds-Seattle: Board regularly scheduled Community Transit Route 416 at Edmonds Station departing at 6:15 a.m., 6:35 a.m., 6:55 a.m., and 7:47 a.m. Please note: These times do not correspond with regular Sounder schedule.
* Southline Sounder service between Seattle and Tacoma is not impacted and will operate as scheduled