Weather: Ice and freezing rain. It’s raining out there this morning, but it’s cold and the rain is quickly freezing. It’s even difficult to stay on your feet. Some of us nearly took an unplanned seat on our rumps getting to our cars… The good news is that it’s going to warm up and the ice will melt and things will get better. We hope!
Traffic: Icy. The freezing rain is making travel on highways and surface streets nearly impossible this morning, so if you have to drive, you can’t be cautious enough. KING5 had some good advice: STAY HOME.
Storm fatality: A boy died in Oregon when the car he was in was swept from a parking lot and into a creek near Albany, Ore., about 70 miles south of Portland.
Los Angeles Times: A reporter called from the L.A. Times early this morning wanting to know what conditions were like up here. We said, “Uh, nasty.” (Yesterday, they called us “snow wimps.”)
Most Read Local Stories
- These 3 Seattle scientists study the coronavirus. Now they're getting millions to chase their 'wildest scientific ideas'
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
- Case dismissed: Defendants charged in alleged attack on a gay man in North Seattle say it never happened
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
Most read stories on seattletimes.com this morning:
- Storm’s messy exit: ice, slush, flooding
- Internet’s dark day: Anti-piracy bills take a beating
- Seattle-area snow tapering off, but morning commute a concern
- Wednesday night notes — Miles says he’s still committed, Garnett says he hasn’t changed mind, and
- Divers resume search for 21 missing from ship