Weather: Rain later this afternoon and tonight, turning windy for Monday. Highs in the 40s. The National Weather Service forecast.
The one-year anniversary of the massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan is being commemorated around the world today and in the Seattle area. The largest local gathering is at Seattle Center, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The Seattle Kennel Club Dog Show wraps up today at CenturyLink Field.
Most Read Local Stories
- Ferry-naming contest draws comically creative ideas — but let's get real, Washington state says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Rain will stick around this week in the Seattle area, with a chance for thunderstorms
A child of Marysville police officer was wounded when a sibling fired a gun inside their parents’ van. We’re working to get more details today. 10:40 p.m UPDATE: The 7-year-old girl died this morning.
What happened to nursing jobs being recession proof? Read our story today about how hiring has been curtailed as older nurses work longer, fewer nurses quit, and hospitals squeeze their budgets to get more work done with lower-paid medical assistants.
A story today tells how the region’s newest arena, Kent’s ShoWare Center, has lost more than $1 million in its first three years.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- New reality for nurses: Not easy to find a job
- On NW coast, potential for tsunami waves up to 100 feet now seems possible
- Which struggling NBA teams could be next on Seattle’s target list?
- Kent losing money but not hope in 3-year-old arena
- Hard-to-peg Huskies sitting on the bubble for NCAA invitation