Weather: Today, you don’t need the National Weather Service to tell you the chance of precipitation is 100 percent. In fact, snow is falling in the Seattle area this morning, although it’s expected to change to rain as temperatures warm a bit. Some may see snow again overnight, though warmer temperatures during the day won’t keep the flakes around for too long. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The map and cams.
Turmoil at Joint Base Lewis-McChord: A senior U.S. official yesterday identified the suspect of the Afghan killings as Staff Sgt. Robert Bales from Lake Tapps. We’ll be updating our story today with any new developments.
Firebomb maker: 32-year-old Justin Solondz was sentenced to seven years in prison for his role in the 2001 arson at the University of Washington’s Center for Urban Horticulture. Solondz built a firebomb that was planted in a professor’s office and caused more than $6 million in damage. Solondz had been evading arrest by using a fake Canadian ID in China until he was arrested on drug charges in 2009.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
On a lighter note: You could see Donald Duck disembark from a cruise ship this summer when Disney Cruise Line comes to town. But don’t think Mickey Mouse will be a longtime regular at Starbucks, because the cruise line will dock in Vancouver, B.C., in 2013.
Wearing green? If you’re not, don’t complain if you’re pinched today for violating the rules of St. Patrick’s Day. See where you can celebrate with a green beer or a more gourmet Irish meal.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- Friends call Afghan killing suspect Robert Bales trusted soldier, family man
- Jennifer Lawrence: ‘Hunger Games’ important for ‘our generation’
- Huskies take a step closer to winning a championship
- Manning’s decision will undoubtedly impact Seahawks
- Mike Daisey embroiled in ‘This American Life’ controversy