Weather: In a word: Wet. Showers are likely throughout the day and don’t expect the clouds to dissipate much. Tonight and Sunday will be pretty much the same. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: Traffic map and cams.
Saving the seawall: Seattle voters will be asked Nov. 6 to approve a $290 million bond measure to replace the waterfront seawall, which has badly eroded over the years by marine borers and tides. The 30-year bond measure would cost $59 per year for the owner of a median-valued, $360,000 home. The measure requires 60 percent approval to pass.
Arena lawsuit: The union representing about 3,000 longshoremen plan to sue Seattle and King County over a proposal to build a new sports arena near Port of Seattle shipping terminals, saying the project will threaten freight movement to port facilities and jeopardizes jobs. The Seattle City Council and Metropolitan King County Council are scheduled to vote Monday on a Memorandum of Understanding that outlines the terms under which the city and county will contribute public money to the arena construction.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Lummi Nation woman disappears during Las Vegas trip with fiancé and friends
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Case dismissed: Defendants charged in alleged attack on a gay man in North Seattle say it never happened
Baumgartner attacks Cantwell: Michael Baumgartner on Friday used the only debate of this year’s U.S. Senate race to hammer incumbent Maria Cantwell for supporting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Republican and former diplomat said Cantwell has “consistently been in support of poorly planned wars that are bankrupting this country and putting a tremendous, tremendous strain on our troops.” Cantwell said she voted for tax increases on the wealthy to fund the wars and has pushed President Obama to withdraw troops faster than he has proposed.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com: