Weather: Morning showers likely until about 10 a.m., with a high around 50. Yesterday, we were crossing our fingers for a sunny Sunday, but the National Weather Service has revised their forecast to mostly cloudy. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The map and cams.
Caucuses today: GOP caucuses start at 10 a.m. Don’t know how to caucus? Read the sidebar in our story on the caucuses, which has instructions on how to participate. GOP leaders predict perhaps 60,000 voters will participate — a number that sounds impressive until you realize it’s just 1.6 percent of the state’s registered voters. And, if you’ve received a robo call saying the caucuses have been delayed a week, that’s not true.
GOP coup on Senate floor: Democrats in the state Senate were riled after Republicans, who gained a slim majority when three Democrats crossed party lines, were able to narrowly pass a budget plan that most lawmakers hadn’t seen yet.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
Norm Dicks’ retirement: Dicks, who has been a fixture in Congress for 36 years, announced Friday that he will retire at the end of his 18th term. The filing deadline for candidates for his seat is May 18, enough time for plenty of contenders to surface.
Alleged $1M theft: A former Seattle Public Utilities employee was arrested on suspicion of diverting more than $1 million from the department to a private bank account. Four other SPU employees have been fired in an unrelated investigation of improperly reducing utility bills.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- GOP grabs reins of budget in Olympia
- Former city employee arrested in $1 million theft from Seattle Public Utilities
- Washington routes USC, earns share of Pac-12 title
- Hundreds salute slain trooper’s smile, dedication to community
- Former Obama backers now supporting Ron Paul