Weather: In case you missed it, it’s been raining for a couple of days and we’re in for more, especially today. Rain or drizzle is forecast for tomorrow through Thursday (We warned you on Saturday.) And the highs aren’t expected to get out of the 50s until Friday. Spring, oh spring, where art thou? By the way, it was too cloudy to see the annular solar eclipse in Seattle Sunday, but here’s a photo gallery of the event. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The map and cams.
Viaduct open: The Alaskan Way Viaduct opened as scheduled this morning. It was closed all weekend for construction work.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Seattle's COVID eviction moratorium extended into January 2022
- Valuable crab populations are in a 'very scary' decline in warming Bering Sea
Shoreline killing arrest: The 20-year-old man accused of killing a 17-year-old girl as she sat in a vehicle in a Shoreline apartment complex parking last week turned himself in just after midnight today. Joseph Cooley, who is sitting in King County Jail today, was wanted in connection with the death of Tiana Montgomery, a 17-year-old Shorecrest High School student.
Mount Everest and Mount McKinley climbing tragedies: Three climbers have died and two are missing on the world’s highest mountain, and one climber died on Mount McKinley in Alaska over the weekend. None of the climbers is from Washington state, but many climbers from this state have climbed or attempted to climb both peaks.
Gasoline prices continue to climb, and we continue to be befuddled why. The average price of a gallon in the state is $4.24, up 4 cents in a week, says the AAA, Meanwhile, the cost of a gallon dropped 4 cents nationally. Huh??? Here’s the skinny in our state: Bellingham $4.40, Bremerton $4.24, Seattle-Bellevue-Everett $4.28, Tacoma $4.27, Olympia $4.29, Vancouver $4.24, Yakima $4.18, Tri-Cities $4.12, and Spokane $3.97.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- Jon Kitna’s greatest play: NFL QB to high-school math teacher
- ‘Just amazing’ rescue saves boy from plunge into Wallace Falls
- Former Seattle school official Dan Riley and wife die after car accident
- Recession Generation hit hard in struggle to adulthood
- Mariners earn sweep of Rockies with 6-4 victory