Weather: Ice on many car windows this morning, but wasn’t yesterday’s sunny afternoon just grand? And in January, no less. After some morning fog today, the sun is expected to pay us a visit. Great way to end the week. Things get ugly for the weekend, though. Rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Details in the National Weather Service’s forecast for Seattle.
Traffic:Isn’t Friday traffic usually lighter as people get a jump on the weekend to go skiing or get away? We hope that’s the case, because fewer vehicles make for a smoother commute.The map and cams.
The Barefoot Bandit, Colton Harris-Moore, is scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in Seattle this morning for sentencing on federal charges stemming from his two-year crime spree. He’s already been sentenced for crimes against the state and given seven years behind bars. He created a bit of a stir this week when some of his emails were released criticizing prosecutors and police for the way they handled things. His attorneys said the email excerpts were “cherry-picked“and their client is truly sorry for what he did. Prosecutors said no way the emails were cherry-picked. We’ll be at today’s sentencing and bring you the latest.
Millions of people come to or pass through Seattle every year. One benchmark to measure the number of travelers is the traffic through Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, which had a record 32.8 million passengers in 2011, according to airport officials. Of those, nearly 3 million were international passengers. That, too, was a record.The raw figures: 32,819,796 in 2011. That beat the previous record set in 2008 of 32,196,528. Didn’t the long-awaited third runway open that year? Yeah, it did, but not until November. Must have been a lot of folks flying in those last two months…
Most Read Local Stories
- Ferry-naming contest draws comically creative ideas — but let's get real, Washington state says
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 27: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- WSP trooper whose work was key to investigation of 2017 DuPont Amtrak derailment dies from COVID
- Light rail ready to open at Northgate, transforming more than just commutes
- Rain will stick around this week in the Seattle area, with a chance for thunderstorms
BB gun rampage, sorta: If we owned one of these vehicles, we’d be darn mad. Someone, and we’d be surprised if it wasn’t kids, likely used a BB gun to shoot out the windows of, or otherwise damage, 30 cars in Poulsbo and 13 cars in Bremerton earlier this week, according to a brief story in The Kitsap Sun. Police are asking for any tips that will lead them to the culprits.
Most-read stories on seattletimes.com this morning:
- Mariners tell 2012 fans to believe in wave of young talent | Larry Stone
- Tony Wroten powers Huskies to 60-54 win at Arizona St.
- Arizonagovernorgiveshersideof Obama encounter
- State, Facebook team up to sue over alleged ‘click-jacking’ scheme
- Another new Husky? UW finds its kicker UPDATED | Husky Football Blog