Weather: Looks like a drizzly today in Seattle. And it won’t get much better Sunday. Forecasters predict an 80 percent chance of rain today and then 60 percent likelihood of rain tonight. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: The southbound lanes of the viaduct are closed between the north end of the Battery Street Tunnel and the West Seattle Bridge. They will reopen 9 a.m. Sunday. Crews are making preparations for work on the Highway 99 tunnel. The map and cams.
Used to the 520 bridge tolls yet? On Sunday they go up to a peak rate of $3.59 each direction for cars using the Good to Go pass. This marks a 2.5 percent increase for inflation. There are also higher rates ahead for the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Read the story to find out how much the fee increases will impact your pocketbook.
Look skyward for NASA’s Super Guppy today at around noon. On the final leg of a 3.5-day journey from Houston, the odd-shaped cargo plane will fly above the Seattle metro area before landing at Boeing Field to deliver a section of a wooden space shuttle mock-up. Read the Today File post.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
The Seattle Great Wheel opened to a big crowd yesterday. The 175-foot tall Ferris-wheel-like attraction is the culmination of years of planning. Here are some numbers to help you envision this big ol’ wheel:
280,300 pounds: the weight of the wheel
252: the number of passengers the wheel can accommodate at full capacity
12: the number of minutes the ride takes.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- Ann Curry’s departure from ‘Today’ stings |Ed cetera
- Custody, images at stage in Cruise-Holmes divorce
- Huskies receive commitments from seven football players
- Danny Hultzen, Jamie Moyer — two pitchers with big-league dreams | Larry Stone
- Washington’s Terrence Ross drafted No. 8 overall by Toronto; Tony Wroten Jr. taken by Memphis with 25th pick