Weather: Today will be another hot one, with a high looming in the low 90s. Don’t worry– next week it should start to cool down again, with temperatures back in the 70s. The National Weather Service forecast.
Traffic: Nothing big to report for your commute today, as far as we can tell. Yesterday’s closure of Hwy. 522 due to a tree falling has now been resolved; the highway re-opened last night. You should be on the lookout for cyclists participating in a Seattle to Vancouver, B.C., bike ride, and drive with caution around them. They’ll be near I-5 and other state routes. And as usual, expect delays tonight during the Mariner’s game at Safeco Field at 7:30 p.m. The map and cams.
Two boys missing in Tacoma: The News Tribune reports that Tacoma police are looking for two young boys, ages 11 and 9, who have been missing since Wednesday evening. Apparently the boys have run away together in the past, but never for this long and not during a heat wave. Read more details.
Taylor Bridge fire is now 33 percent contained: Up from 25 percent on Wednesday, the Taylor Bridge fire was 33 percent contained late last night, with no homes lost in the last two days. Some families have been allowed to return to their homes. Today’s big worry is whether a potential lightening storm could worsen the situation.
Most Read Local Stories
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- An Idaho ICU doctor's touching message went viral. Here's what he told his co-workers
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 21: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- There's an opening for the GOP in Washington state — and they're squandering it on conspiracies
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 22: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
Six degrees of separation: In today’s paper we have a story from reporter Sara Jean Green about a Seattle man who has lost two friends to gun violence this year. He’s holding two events to honor them and wants to do more.
Most-read stories this morning on seattletimes.com:
- Comcast: Customers will need adapters soon | Brier Dudley’s Blog
- Suspect in Mariners outfielder death released
- Herb Alpert’s ‘Whipped Cream Lady’ now 76, living in Longview and looking back
- Tampa Bay Rays praise ‘prodigious’ Felix Hernandez | Jerry Brewer
- A break in uphill battle with Taylor Bridge fire