1. Baby left in car outside Spokane Valley casino
Police believe a 1-year-old baby was left alone in a car for more than an hour while the father was inside a Spokane Valley casino.
2. A man in Thurston County says he shot self in head while fishing
It’s a complicated story, but the man says he managed to shoot himself in the head with a .22-caliber rifle while fishing for salmon.
Most Read Local Stories
- Missing Lummi Nation woman found alive, aunt says
- Washington state analyzed two COVID scenarios for fall. One is much worse than the other
- King County head of homelessness may be an 'impossible' job, but Marc Dones is optimistic
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 24: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
3. First 787 flight to arrive at Sea-Tac doesn’t leave
Faulty cooling system part grounds first 787 to fly into Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in regular passenger service, stranding ANA’s Tokyo-bound passengers.
4. Winds whip up wildfire danger in E. Washington
The National Weather Service says the wildfire danger across Eastern Washington will be critical this afternoon and evening when winds are expected to gust as a cold front moves across the Inland Northwest.
5. Soldier killed by bomb in Afghanistan grew up in Gig Harbor
The News Tribune | Tacoma: Staff Sgt. Orion N. Sparks, 29, was on his third deployment when he and another soldier were killed Wednesday by shrapnel from a bomb in Pul-E Alam, in eastern Afghanistan.
6. Investigators want to know how Oregon man came to be eaten by hogs
“For all we know, it was a horrific accident, but it’s so doggone weird that we have to look at all possibilities,” District Attorney Paul Frasier told The Register-Guard in Eugene, Ore.
7. $1 million more for marijuana legalization campaign — and support from King County sheriff
The campaign to legalize recreational marijuana has received two new boosts: another $1 million in donations, and a vote of approval from King County Sheriff Steve Strachan.
8. Early October to continue dry pattern
The last two months have been among the driest Seattle has ever seen, and the dry pattern looks like it will hold at least for another week or longer, says the Weather Service.
9. Steve Kelley: Edmonds CC soccer coach Brandon Mitalas carries the burden of war
The bodies from the casualties of the war in Iraq came almost daily to Landing Support Specialist Brandon Mitalas in Kuwait City.
10. Police: Bellingham girl, 14, dies from alcohol-related causes
Bellingham Herald | A Whatcom Middle School girl was found dead from alcohol-related causes early Saturday, Sept. 29, according to investigators. Police believe the 14-year-old girl was drinking alcohol at a party.
— Compiled by Seattle Times staff. Includes information from The Associated Press