Several Molotov cocktails were thrown at the church, Iglesia ni Cristo, during an evening service Thursday, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Seattle police are investigating an apparent arson at a Rainier Valley church Thursday.
The fire started after “several Molotov cocktail devices” were thrown at the church, Iglesia ni Cristo, during an evening service, said Seattle Fire Department spokeswoman Kristin Tinsley.
The fire ignited outside the front door of the church, Tinsley said. About 50 people were inside but no one was injured, she said.
Seattle police have not yet confirmed the fire was caused by Molotov cocktails. A 911 caller reported seeing someone throw a bottle full of liquid at the church around 8 p.m., said Seattle police spokesman Detective Patrick Michaud. The department will investigate the incident as arson.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle unprepared for deadly heat waves made worse by global warming, researchers say
- Is a stepfather still a father? Court says yes, handing Seattle woman a win
- Formerly homeless Tacoma teen becomes first in his family to head to college
- Lori Matsukawa stepping down after 36 years at KING 5 VIEW
- After nearly 11 years and two trials, killing of Redmond woman who had been 'living her dream' remains unsolved
According to the church’s website, a service was set to begin at 7:30 p.m. Representatives of the church could not be immediately reached.