Hundreds of staff members at Western State Hospital have been assaulted by patients, sometimes causing missed workdays and large claims for medical costs.
Western State Hospital, in Lakewood, is Washington state’s largest psychiatric hospital. About two-thirds of its more than 800 beds are filled by people who have been ordered held under a civil commitment because they are a danger to themselves or others. The other one-third of patients are in the forensic unit. They’ve been held after being found not guilty by reason of insanity, or were ordered by a judge to receive treatment to have their competency restored.
The medical staff is made up of registered nurses, mental-health counselors, psychiatric technicians, nursing aides, psychiatrists and psychologists.
Hundreds have been assaulted by patients, which resulted in missed workdays and medical costs that sent total claims into the millions of dollars.
Most Read Local Stories
- Five I-5 rest areas to close in Snohomish and Whatcom counties over trash, vandalism
- Washington state trooper who died of COVID hadn't been vaccinated yet, family says
- The Seattle area is heading into another La Niña winter. Here's what that means
- González, Harrell trade barbs on homelessness, policing in televised Seattle mayoral debate
- Coronavirus daily news updates, October 15: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
• Healthcare support worker kicked by a patient suffered sprains to multiple body parts. Missed 958 days of work. Total claim: $255,556
• Registered nurse assaulted by patient suffered bruises to multiple parts of her body. Missed 966 days of work. Total claim: $488,740
• Psychologist struck by patient suffered multiple injuries. Missed 120 days of work. Total claim: $23,300
• Psychiatric aide struck by a patient suffered multiple contusions. Missed 407 days of work. Total claim: $78,186
• Licensed practical nurse was assaulted by a patient and suffered sprains. Missed 199 days of work. Total claim: $287,097
• Registered nurse struck by a patient suffered a sprained neck. Missed 686 days of work. Total claim: $199,319
• Registered nurse attacked by a patient suffered a sprained back and neck. Missed 68 days of work. Total claim: $56,034
• Psychiatric technician struck by a patient suffered a knee injury. Missed 206 days of work. Total claim: $39,726
• Psychiatric aide assaulted by a patient suffered psychiatric distress. Missed 318 days. Total claim: $96,520
• Registered nurse attacked by a patient suffered a fractured hand. Missed 59 days of work. Total claim: $6,642