The arena has been known as many venues through the years — the Exposition Building, Civic Ice Arena and Seattle Center Arena, among them.
The Mercer Arena, built in 1927, was demolished Tuesday to make way for a new opera house expansion.
In February 2016, Seattle Opera unveiled plans for a $60 million facility to replace the arena, according to recent news reports.
The arena has been known as many venues through the years — the Exposition Building, Civic Ice Arena and Seattle Center Arena, among them. The venue predated the Seattle Center Coliseum by about 35 years.
The new building, which will be named the Seattle Opera at the Center, is expected to be four stories tall and house 105,000 square feet of space for offices, storage, scene assembly, and community spaces, according to those reports.
Most Read Local Stories
- Washington State Patrol detective violated woman's rights with ruse, hidden cameras, court rules
- Map: Kim Schrier won big in King County suburbs, even in Dino Rossi's neighborhood
- Hate crimes skyrocket across the nation, almost double in Seattle over the past year
- Uber and Lyft drop data fight with Seattle, and start another over Sea-Tac Airport data
- Fire at Gascoigne Lumber on North Queen Anne was arson, Seattle fire officials say
From the archives: