Vili Fualaau, 33, filed for legal separation from Mary Kay Letourneau, 55, earlier this month, according to court documents. The couple have been married since 2005.
Vili Fualaau has filed for legal separation from Mary Kay Letourneau, the former Highline teacher who was jailed for having sex with him beginning when he was in sixth grade.
Fualaau, 33, filed for the legal separation from Letourneau, 55, earlier this month, according to King County Superior Court documents. The couple have been married since 2005.
Their separation was first reported Tuesday afternoon by TMZ.
The two met when he was in the second grade and she was a teacher at Shorewood Elementary School in Burien. Their relationship became sexual when he was 12 and she was 34 and a married mother of four. She was arrested in 1997 after she became pregnant with his child, and was convicted of second-degree child rape. She was paroled after six months but was again caught having sex with Fualaau, a violation of her parole conditions.
Most Read Local Stories
- ‘The truth needed to come out’: A decade after the sinking of the Alaska Ranger, a survivor changes his story VIEW
- ‘Sex kits’ and assault weapons: how The Seattle Times covered Rajneeshees, cult in Netflix’s ‘Wild Wild Country’ VIEW
- Illegal ‘gingerbread house’ in Mount Baker-Snoqualmie Forest stocked with food, bedding — and child porn
- Teen tossed ‘like a child’s doll’ by Tacoma cop awarded $500,000 WATCH
- GET college-tuition holders can switch to new plan, reap reward
She gave birth to the couple’s second child in prison while serving the remainder of her 7½-year sentence. She was released in 2004 and the couple married in a ceremony in Woodinville the next year.
Their relationship sparked national attention and was chronicled in the Lifetime movie “Mary Kay Letourneau: All American Girl.” The two, with their two daughters, were interviewed by Barbara Walters in 2015.
The couple and their two daughters have remained in the region, with their last address listed in Des Moines. Starting in 2009, the two hosted “Hot for Teacher” nights at a Seattle nightclub.