Update: Renton Police now believe the death was a homicide. The most recent story can be found here.
A man died in what appeared to be a homeless camp that caught fire in Renton on Tuesday, according to police.
Renton Police are still investigating the fire but believe it was accidental, said Cmdr. David Leibman. Police found multiple propane containers at the scene of the fire in the 1900 block of Oakesdale Avenue Southwest, some of which had been ignited and likely led to the explosive fire, he said.
Someone reported hearing the explosion and seeing smoke in the area around 5 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters from the Renton Regional Fire Authority put out the fire and found the body, according to a tweet from the police department.
The body was badly disfigured from the fire, and officials are working to identify the man, Leibman said. He said police aren’t sure if anyone else was living in the encampment, which was in a wooded area on private property.