A sex offender who attacked a jogger in a Seattle park bathroom has been sentenced to a minimum of three years in prison.
Gary Steiner received the sentence Friday in a King County courtroom. After serving the three years, officials will review his case to determine whether he can be released on parole or must serve more time.
Steiner previously pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with sexual motivation in the March 2017 attack at Golden Gardens Park.
Authorities say Steiner hid in the bathroom, then attacked and beat a woman when she entered and tried to rape her.
Most Read Local Stories
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 8: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
- 'It will not go forgotten': One Seattle business and its tale of two landlords during the coronavirus crisis
- Coronavirus daily news updates, April 7: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the nation
- New UW analysis lowers coronavirus death projections and suggests hospitalizations may have already peaked in Washington
- Police respond to disturbance involving hundreds of inmates at Monroe Correctional Complex
Steiner has previous convictions for assaulting women in Arizona.