The man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn't able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say a 41-year-old man watching a sunset fell to his death off a steep cliff at Larrabee State Park in Bellingham over the weekend.
The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office says the man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn’t able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
Undersheriff Jeff Parks tells The Bellingham Herald that the man fell up to 100 feet (30 meters) and died at the scene.
Parks said the man and his girlfriend were watching the sunset.
Most Read Local Stories
- We now know where Seattle's airborne heart was headed after Southwest flight was turned around
- Dallas-bound flight returns to Seattle after human heart was left onboard
- Burned bear Cinder shot and killed by hunter in Washington
- Rare brain-eating amoebas killed Seattle woman who rinsed her sinuses with tap water. Doctor warns this could happen again
- Gov. Inslee proposes $54.4B state budget with new tax on capital gains
Bellingham Fire Chief Bill Newbold says the girlfriend was also injured but it wasn’t clear whether she also fell or was injured trying to climb down.