The man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn't able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say a 41-year-old man watching a sunset fell to his death off a steep cliff at Larrabee State Park in Bellingham over the weekend.
The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office says the man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn’t able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
Undersheriff Jeff Parks tells The Bellingham Herald that the man fell up to 100 feet (30 meters) and died at the scene.
Parks said the man and his girlfriend were watching the sunset.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle pollution levels surge, as smoky air returns through at least Wednesday
- Washington's smoky air looks scary, but UW physician says trust your body's defenses WATCH
- Richard Russell was a jokester who complained about work, but Sea-Tac plane heist still baffles friends
- Western Washington crane operators strike after union members reject labor deal WATCH
- 'Very high threat' Snohomish County volcano may get new monitoring stations
Bellingham Fire Chief Bill Newbold says the girlfriend was also injured but it wasn’t clear whether she also fell or was injured trying to climb down.