The man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn't able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say a 41-year-old man watching a sunset fell to his death off a steep cliff at Larrabee State Park in Bellingham over the weekend.
The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office says the man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn’t able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
Undersheriff Jeff Parks tells The Bellingham Herald that the man fell up to 100 feet (30 meters) and died at the scene.
Parks said the man and his girlfriend were watching the sunset.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle's upzones were a yearslong fight, and could be ‘just the tip of the iceberg'
- What are the most common reasons people are homeless in Seattle?
- ‘It’s shaping up to be pretty darn nice’: Seattle's temperatures could hit 70s this week
- Seattle Police investigate Pioneer Square shooting incident that injured two people
- Capitol Hill homeowners say Eastlake upzone would ruin views of Lake Union VIEW
Bellingham Fire Chief Bill Newbold says the girlfriend was also injured but it wasn’t clear whether she also fell or was injured trying to climb down.