The man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn't able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) — Authorities say a 41-year-old man watching a sunset fell to his death off a steep cliff at Larrabee State Park in Bellingham over the weekend.
The Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office says the man, who has not been identified, slipped and wasn’t able to stop his slide before he went over the cliff Saturday night.
Undersheriff Jeff Parks tells The Bellingham Herald that the man fell up to 100 feet (30 meters) and died at the scene.
Parks said the man and his girlfriend were watching the sunset.
Most Read Local Stories
- Sea-Tac Airport fully reopens after suspicious bags disrupt travel WATCH
- Crossing the perilous Willapa Bay bar holds a steep cost VIEW
- Seattle's bleak downtown light-rail stations have nowhere to go but up VIEW
- The Pacific Northwest is the 'cat dad' capital of the U.S.
- Frozen organic strawberries sold in WA recalled after hepatitis A outbreak
Bellingham Fire Chief Bill Newbold says the girlfriend was also injured but it wasn’t clear whether she also fell or was injured trying to climb down.