Share story

A 22-year-old Skyway man was charged Thursday with two counts of first-degree assault for allegedly firing into a large crowd outside a South Lake Union nightclub early Sunday before being shot by Seattle police.

Larry Dawson Daley Jr. was shot twice by officers and underwent surgery at Harborview Medical Center, according to charging documents. He was booked into the King County Jail on Tuesday on a no-bail hold for violating his community supervision on a prior first-degree theft charge, jail records show.

In addition to the assault charges, Daley, a felon with a lengthy criminal history, was also charged with first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

At 1:41 a.m. Sunday, an employee at the Citrus Lounge called 911 but wouldn’t say why police were needed, charging papers say. Available officers were asked to head to the nightclub, located at 1001 Fairview Ave. N., and three gang-unit officers arrived in one car and parked across the street so they could watch the parking lot, the papers say.

As people poured out of the club at closing time, the officers observed and heard “angry yelling, challenges, name calling, obscenities and wild gesturing” between several groups of young men and many of the people in the club parking lot appeared intoxicated, the papers say.

A gunshot rang out and the officers then saw a young man — later identified as Daley — pull a handgun from his clothing and start firing into the crowd, charging papers say. “Officers also heard other gunfire begin from the immediate area,” but could not pinpoint the sources.

The officers got out of the car and yelled at Daley to stop, but he ran back toward the crowd, fired another shot, then ran directly at the officers before changing course and running south on Yale Avenue North, away from Fairview, the papers say. Daley started chasing another man and pointed his gun at him, the papers say.

Two of the officers fired at Daley, who then turned and shot at the officers, the papers say.

Daley collapsed on the sidewalk and tried to hide under a bush, but was arrested by the officers, charging papers say. The officers recovered a 9 mm handgun, as well as several shell casings, the papers say.

None of the officers were injured and Daley is expected to make a full recovery, the papers say.

The man Daley chased was not located and is referred to as “John Doe” in charging documents.