Court records say Burge told police investigators that the girl hurt herself "while having a tantrum."
VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — A man has pleaded not guilty to killing his girlfriend’s 5-year-old daughter.
KATU-TV reports 37-year-old Ryan Burge pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder Tuesday in Clark County Superior Court.
Hartley Anderson was injured Nov. 2 when investigators say Burge was babysitting her while her mother was at work.
Authorities say Anderson was unconscious with severe head trauma when they arrived. She was taken to Peace Health Medical Center and then transferred to Randall Children’s Hospital in Portland.
Most Read Local Stories
- Dallas-bound flight returns to Seattle after human heart was left onboard
- More effective than condoms? Seattle-area couples test new birth control for men
- Whose stadium is it? They tell us it's ours, only not when it comes to selling the big money name | Danny Westneat
- Teen in police custody after report of gun at Issaquah High School
- Traffic in Seattle, 2017: Fewer cars, bicyclists and walkers; more transit riders and carpoolers
Court records say Burge told police investigators that the girl hurt herself “while having a tantrum.”
She later died of her injuries.
Records say Burge remains in the Clark County Jail in lieu of $5 million.