Court records say Burge told police investigators that the girl hurt herself "while having a tantrum."
VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — A man has pleaded not guilty to killing his girlfriend’s 5-year-old daughter.
KATU-TV reports 37-year-old Ryan Burge pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder Tuesday in Clark County Superior Court.
Hartley Anderson was injured Nov. 2 when investigators say Burge was babysitting her while her mother was at work.
Authorities say Anderson was unconscious with severe head trauma when they arrived. She was taken to Peace Health Medical Center and then transferred to Randall Children’s Hospital in Portland.
Most Read Local Stories
- Daylight saving time: Washington state moving toward an end to the clock change
- 'Shark Tank' star Robert Herjavec owes a debt of gratitude to a homeless shelter in Seattle VIEW
- If you rely on a bus through downtown, prepare for big changes
- Tim Eyman, accused of stealing office chair, films himself bringing it back WATCH
- Alaska and United are cleared for departure out of Everett's Paine Field in March
Court records say Burge told police investigators that the girl hurt herself “while having a tantrum.”
She later died of her injuries.
Records say Burge remains in the Clark County Jail in lieu of $5 million.