Court records say Burge told police investigators that the girl hurt herself "while having a tantrum."
VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — A man has pleaded not guilty to killing his girlfriend’s 5-year-old daughter.
KATU-TV reports 37-year-old Ryan Burge pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder Tuesday in Clark County Superior Court.
Hartley Anderson was injured Nov. 2 when investigators say Burge was babysitting her while her mother was at work.
Authorities say Anderson was unconscious with severe head trauma when they arrived. She was taken to Peace Health Medical Center and then transferred to Randall Children’s Hospital in Portland.
Most Read Local Stories
- 'Sorry for what happened to Mr. Gray': DSHS to pay $8M after neighbors' pleas to help vulnerable Seattle man brought no action
- Low snowpack, hot spring lead to drought declaration for nearly half of Washington state
- Ron & Don Nation, rejoice! Popular radio personalities turn to podcast and real estate
- West Seattle man sentenced to 25 years for raping woman who suffered a stroke after car crash
- What an Olympic medalist, homeless in Seattle, wants you to know
Court records say Burge told police investigators that the girl hurt herself “while having a tantrum.”
She later died of her injuries.
Records say Burge remains in the Clark County Jail in lieu of $5 million.