The man killed early Monday during a shooting at a Bellevue bar has been identified as DeShawn Milliken, 30.

Share story

The man killed early Monday during a shooting at a Bellevue bar was a Garfield High School homecoming king, student-body vice president, football star and an honor student, who also had a criminal history and was part of Seattle’s 2001 Mardi Gras riot.

DeShawn Milliken, 30, died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to the King County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Milliken was shot and killed at Munchbar, a restaurant and bar at Bellevue Square in what police have said was an isolated incident.

Authorities are looking for Ja’Mari Jones, 19, who they say was the shooter.

Bellevue police have obtained an arrest warrant for Jones and say he should be considered armed and dangerous. Jones was last seen driving a white Nissan Maxima with Washington state license number AHZ1672.

Jones is one of three men convicted in the 2008 slaying of Seattle street musician Ed “Tuba Man” McMichael. The 53-year-old musician was beaten by the group of teens on Oct. 25, 2008, and later died.

Jones, Billy Chambers, a 19-year-old currently being held in federal custody on a firearms violation, and a third man, Kenneth Kelly, served time in Juvenile Rehabilitation Administration (JRA) custody for McMichael’s death. According to King County Superior Court records, Jones was sentenced to a term of up to nine months after being convicted of manslaughter and robbery.

Thomas Shapley, spokesman for the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS), said Jones was at Chehalis’ Green Hill School, the state’s most secure juvenile rehabilitation facility, from April 2009 until March 2010. JRA is a branch of DSHS.

It’s unclear why Jones served more time than he was sentenced to.

When interviewed after the sentencings in 2009, King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said that police could find no eyewitnesses to the crime except for the teens themselves. Charging them as juveniles was “the only option we had to solve the crime,” Satterberg said.

Since serving time for McMichael’s death, Jones has remained relatively crime-free. According to court records, he was cited in May with operating a vehicle without a license and failure to renew expired vehicle registration.

Milliken had a minor part in the Mardi Gras attacks in Pioneer Square in 2001 and pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and rioting. He was given a one-year deferred sentence, served no jail time and was ordered to do 30 days of community service. His attorney and classmates said he was wrongly accused.

Milliken, in his guilty plea, wrote that he was “not proud of his behavior” but “I believe the physical altercations with other people were the result of me defending myself or defending others who were attacked.”

In May 2011, Milliken was convicted in Maricopa County, Ariz., of misconduct involving weapons. In March 2010, he was convicted in Maricopa County of facilitation to commit money laundering.

Arron Murphy-Paine, an assistant football coach at Garfield High School, remembers “D.Mill” Milliken as a childhood friend who always excelled physically, academically and socially. Milliken aced Advanced Placement classes while being one of the strongest football players in the nation, helping to raise a younger sister, and bringing friends together for parties outside of school, he said. As adults, they would catch up on life when Milliken came back to visit Garfield High football practices.

“He was the heart and soul of the Central Area,” Murphy-Paine, 29, said. “Of people my age, I’d say he was the most popular guy in Seattle without a doubt.” He said Milliken has an adopted daughter.

Witnesses of the Munchbar shooting this week described a chaotic scene, telling local media they dived for cover as gunfire erupted. Many of the 600 people at the bar at the time of the shooting were there to watch the Seahawks game and celebrate the team’s blowout victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

Several Seahawks were at the bar, but were not in the area where the shooting occurred, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said in a Monday news conference.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Bellevue Police Department Tipline at 425-452-2564 or email:

Seattle Times reporter Alexa Vaughn and news researcher Gene Balk contributed to this report. Information from Seattle Times archives is included in this report.

Jennifer Sullivan: 206-464-8294 or On Twitter @SeattleSullivan.