A man was hospitalized after an explosion and fire Monday morning at an auto-repair shop in Kent.
A man was hospitalized Monday morning following an explosion and fire inside an auto-repair shop in Kent.
Kent Regional Fire Authority Capt. Kyle Ohashi said fire crews responded to Automotive Experts, in the 15300 block of Southeast 272nd Street, at 10:41 a.m. A man, believed to be an employee of the shop, was taken to a hospital with unspecified injuries, Ohashi said.
The shop’s sprinkler system put out the majority of the flames, Ohashi added.
“Currently, the biggest problem we have is the sprinkler system,” Ohashi said. “It caused a lot of water flow, so we have a huge amount of oil that is washing into the parking lot, the drains and potentially into a creek nearby.”
Most Read Local Stories
- Police investigate early-morning shooting at Issaquah Costco
- Coronavirus daily news updates, August 2: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Missing Maple Valley woman found alive in woods recovering in hospital, parents say
- 6 King County beaches closed because of high bacteria levels
- Coronavirus daily news updates, August 3: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
Fire crews have placed plastic covers over the drains to stop contamination to the creek, resulting in pools of oil forming in the parking lot, Ohashi said.
“We’re using absorbent pads designed to absorb petroleum-based products,” Ohashi said.
Fire investigators later ruled the explosion was an accident but have not determined the cause.