An 83-year-old man was rushed to Harborview Medical Center with serious respiration injuries after a fire engulfed a home in Seattle’s Crown Hill neighborhood Thursday night, according to the Seattle Fire Department.
Firefighters initially thought no one was inside the home at the 8500 block of 12th Avenue Northwest when it caught fire just before 10 p.m., but then found the man unconscious in a bathroom, according to emergency scanner traffic. He had no pulse, and his airways were blackened from smoke inhalation.
The man was found 17 minutes after firefighters knocked down the blaze that engulfed the front of the one-story home from basement to attic, said Lt. Sue Stangl.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska
Emergency personnel were able to rush him to Harborview, where he is in critical condition.
Neighbors told MyBallard that an older couple has lived in the home for several decades.