A man killed in a shootout with law enforcement officers at his home in Littlerock has been identified by the Thurston County coroner’s office as 70-year-old David W. Mack.
Neighbors told The Olympian he was a retired corrections officer from the Cedar Creek Corrections Center who had been behaving erratically since the recent death of his wife from cancer.
Officers responded to a report of a man with a rifle blocking traffic Wednesday. Sheriff’s Lt. Greg Elwin says Mack refused to drop his weapon, went home and fired at officers with a pistol from his back porch.
He was shot by an officer and died at the scene.
Most Read Local Stories
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- King County customers of restaurants, theaters, gyms must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or negative test
- COVID-19 kills Moses Lake couple, orphans their 8-year-old after visit to the fair
- 15-year-old SeaTac girl charged with murder, hit-and-run in July death of Maple Valley runner
- Scientists spot rare, mysterious right whales in waters off Alaska