Fire investigators have determined that a blaze that killed one North Seattle man and injured another early Sunday morning was caused by a pinched power cord, according to Seattle Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore.
The fire began in the bottom unit of a duplex in the 10500 block of Greenwood Avenue North and was reported at 3:32 a.m., fire officials said.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy black smoke pouring from the bottom-floor unit, which was filled with piles of combustible materials, and the body of a deceased man, 10 feet from the door, Moore said.
The victim’s name has not been released.
Most Read Local Stories
- Big gap between Pfizer, Moderna vaccines seen for preventing COVID hospitalizations
- Wondering why society went off-kilter during the pandemic? It was all predicted in this book
- Seattle-area residents should prepare for wild weather ahead, forecasters say
- Washington state workers are getting exemptions to avoid the COVID-19 vaccine — but will they keep their jobs?
- 2 killed in crash on I-90 after car hydroplaned, officials say
Another man, who lived in the upper unit of the two-story dwelling, suffered minor smoke inhalation, according to fire officials.
Moore said fire investigators found that a pinched power cord in the bedroom of the lower unit started the blaze and that neither unit had a working smoke alarm. Damages to the structure and contents were estimated at $200,000, he said.