Seattle police shot and killed a man they said was armed with a knife in a Lower Queen Anne apartment Wednesday night.

Four officers entered the apartment in the 600 block of Third Avenue Wes around 7:15 p.m., responding to a 911 call from a woman who said her boyfriend had a knife and was trying to assault her, according to a news release posted by the Seattle Police Department just after midnight Thursday. The woman told 911 operators she was hiding in a bathroom.

Seattle police release video of officers fatally shooting man in Queen Anne apartment

After confronting the man, two of the officers fired, striking him, police spokesman Detective Mark Jamieson said Wednesday night.

Jamieson, speaking to reporters near the building, said investigators didn’t know whether officers gave verbal commands before firing or what the man was doing before officers shot him. Medics from the Seattle Fire Department declared the man dead at the scene. Police have given no information on his identity.

The woman wasn’t injured, nor were any officers.

Detectives interviewed the woman Wednesday night.

Jamieson initially said Wednesday that officers had been responding to a series of 911 hang-up calls. The department later published the news release mentioning the 911 call from the woman.

The department’s Force Investigation Team, crime-scene investigators, the Office of Police Accountability and the Inspector General are investigating. After a recently passed state law on police use of deadly force, the King County Sheriff’s Office is conducting its own, separate investigation.

Wednesday’s shooting was the second fatal shooting this year involving Seattle police.

In February, officers responding to a domestic-violence incident fatally shot a man who moved towards them while waving a knife, steps from the body of a woman who had been killed and decapitated. A man, a woman, and two young children were found unharmed, hiding in another bedroom in the North Seattle apartment where the incident occurred.


Police released video of the incident from two officers’ body-worn cameras.