A Federal Way man has been charged with a hate crime in connection with an attack on a convenience store clerk from Pakistan.
A Federal Way man was charged with malicious harassment today in connection with an attack on a 7-Eleven clerk from Pakistan.
According to King County Superior Court documents, which charge Douglas Paul Jones, 25, with malicious harassment, Jones entered the store on 1st Avenue South just before 3:30 a.m. on Sunday and began yelling at Zafar Ansari. Ansari told police that Jones called him a derogatory name and then began punching him and throwing products from the counter at him.
Ansari said Jones then left, at which point the clerk called police. Jones returned before police arrived and began punching him again, yelling, “Go home,” according to court documents.
Ansari told police that he was confused about the ethnic slur Jones allegedly used, because he was from Pakistan.
Most Read Local Stories
- Proud Boys rally on Saturday raises concerns of more violence in Portland
- Coronavirus daily news updates, September 25: What to know today about COVID-19 in the Seattle area, Washington state and the world
- Seattle's median household income soars past $100,000 — but wealth doesn't reach all
- Another baby orca born to J pod — the second this month
- Sheriff's Office to investigate after Seattle police officer walks his bike over protester's head WATCH
The attacker had already left when police arrived. An officer spotted a car that matched the description provided by the clerk in the parking lot of a nearby condominium and found Jones inside an apartment, according to charging papers. Police said that Jones smelled of alcohol and was slurring his words.
According to court papers, Jones recently moved to the area from Idaho, where he has several criminal convictions.
Bail has been set for Jones in the amount of $25,000. Jones is scheduled to be arraigned at the county courthouse in Kent Sept. 30.
Malicious harassment is Washington state’s hate-crime law.
Natalie Singer: 206-464-2704 or email@example.com