A 22-year-old man with severe food allergies died in the Snohomish County jail after a pot bust, and now his mother says she wants to know why he died.

Share story

A 22-year-old man with severe food allergies died in the Snohomish County jail after a pot bust, and now his mother says she wants to know why he died.

The Herald newspaper of Everett and KIRO-TV of Seattle report that Michael Saffiotti died a day after turning himself in to face a misdemeanor marijuana charge on July 2.

Saffiotti’s mother, Rose Saffiotti, says her son brought along a bag of medications needed to control his allergies and asthma, and he had expected to be placed in the jail’s medical unit. Instead, he was placed in the general population.

Rose Saffiotti says she has spoken with other inmates who were there, and the cause might have been what he was served for breakfast. The medical examiner’s office determined on Thursday that he died from bronchial asthma brought on by his milk allergy.

Saffiotti has hired Seattle attorney Anne Bremner to pursue the case. The sheriff’s office says it’s still investigating.

Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldnet.com